Sustainable construction is primarily about the planning and realisation of a building that pursues the basic idea of sustainability. The objective is to minimize the consumption of energy and resources. To achieve this goal, all life cycle phases of a building must be taken into account. It is also important to optimize all factors that influence the building’s life cycle: raw material extraction, construction and dismantling.
The following factors must be taken into account in sustainable house construction:
- Reduction of energy consumption
- Reduction in the consumption of operating resources
- Lowest possible transport costs/routes for components
- safe return of all materials used
- Possibility of reuse
- Conservation of natural areas (through space-saving construction)
For a new building to be environmentally friendly and energy efficient, several questions must be answered. Which building materials should be used? How can electricity be produced sustainably?